Re: [HACKERS] Arbitrary tuple size

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com, maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Arbitrary tuple size
Date: 1999-07-08 18:14:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck) writes:
> > Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> I agree this is the way to go. There is nothing I can think of that is
> >> limited to how large a tuple can be.
>
> > Outch - I can.
>
> > Having an index on a varlen field that now doesn't fit any
> > more into an index block. Wouldn't this cause problems?
>
> Aren't index tuples still tuples? Can't they be split just like
> regular tuples?

Don't know, maybe.

While looking for some places where tuple data might be
accessed directly inside of the buffers I've searched for
WriteBuffer() and friends. These are mostly used in the index
access methods and some other places where I expected them,
so index AM's have at least to be carefully visited when
implementing tuple split.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #