Re: [SQL] RewriteDefine.c : Rule size

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: ertz(at)illite(dot)u-strasbg(dot)fr (Olivier Ertz)
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] RewriteDefine.c : Rule size
Date: 1999-07-08 16:30:16
Lists: pgsql-sql

> Hello,
>
> I'm using Postgres 6.4.2.
> I want to create a view, but a message appear :
> ERROR: DefineQueryRewrite: rule plan string too big.
> What could be the solution to avoid the problem? In fact, I have 31
> columns in a table, and i want to make a view on this table (with
> a line restrict = WHERE clause).

That's a well known, long standing problem which is still not
fixed in v6.5. I'm planning to fix it for v6.6 - though that
doesn't help you.

> I watched the RewriteDefine.c code and saw :
> #define RULE_PLAN_SIZE BLCKSZ
> I thought changing the value of this size, but I don't find the
> place to modify the BLCKSZ value.
> But, before doing the modification and recompile, I would like to
> have your opinion on the problem...perhaps is there an easier way to
> resolve the problem.

Never did it, but the BLCKSZ is defined in include/config.h.
That is a file generated from config.h.in, so be sure to
change it there and reconfigure before recompiling.

And if you change the blocksize, be sure to run initdb after
because your databases will not be binary compatible any
more!

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #