Re: [HACKERS] regress.sh

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: prlw1(at)cam(dot)ac(dot)uk
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] regress.sh
Date: 1999-06-14 13:40:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The regression tests no longer seem to be using the "alternative" expected
> files should they exist. I have run out of time looking for the cause, but
> the story so far is in going from version 1.28-1.29 of regress.sh,
> SYSTEM has gone from
> ... printf"%s-%s", $1, a[1] }'
> ... printf"%s-%s", $portname, a[1] }'
> which means an example of output has changed from
> i386-netbsd
> i386-unknown-netbsd1.4-netbsd
>
> Now, portname comes from PORTNAME=${os} in configure, which it appears ought
> to be set in my case to
>
> netbsd*)
> os=bsd need_tas=no
> case "$host_cpu" in
> powerpc) elf=yes ;;
> esac ;;
>
> "bsd", so I would expect SYSTEM to be set to "bsd-netbsd" ?! which doesn't
> seem right either...
>
> Maybe "someone" could take another look?

Ouch - looks like my recent change made while adding the
NUMERIC regression tests.

Looking at the actual sources I wonder why it can cause any
problems. At the very beginning I've added

portname=$1
export portname
shift

That variable is used ONLY ONCE in the awk line you're
quoting above. Prior to my changes, $1 was directly used as
argument to awk and all remaining args ignored silently by
regress.sh.

Is it required that variables local in regress.sh have upper
case? If so, why?

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #