Re: [HACKERS] Postgres 6.5 beta2 and beta3 problem

From: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: phd2(at)earthling(dot)net, "'Oleg Bartunov'" <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, "'hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Postgres 6.5 beta2 and beta3 problem
Date: 1999-06-14 14:07:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> OK, SQL92 defines two kinds of native character sets: those we already
> have (char, varchar) and those which can be locale customized (nchar,
> national character varying, and others). char and varchar always
> default to the "SQL" behavior (which I think corresponds to ascii
> (called "SQL_TEXT") but I didn't bother looking for the details).

This seems to be a little bit different from the standard. First,
SQL_TEXT is not equal to ascii. It's a subset of ascii. Second, the
default charset for char and varchar might be implemenation dependent,
not neccesarily limited to SQL_TEXT. The only requirement is the
charset must contain the repertoire SQL_TEXT has. I think any charsets
including ascii I've ever seen satisfies the requirement. Third, the
standards says nothing about locale.
---
Tatsuo Ishii