Range for user-defined SQLSTATE codes

From: Ian Pilcher <arequipeno(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Range for user-defined SQLSTATE codes
Date: 2013-01-26 04:25:36
Lists: pgsql-general

I can't be the first person (or even the 10,000th) to want to define my
own SQLSTATE codes when raising errors in a stored procedure. I've
just tested doing so in a PL/pgSQL function access via JDBC, and I had
no problem retrieving the non-standard state from the SQLException. (I
used 'WWWWW' and 'ZZZZZ' as my tests.)

Is there anything like a standard range -- formal or otherwise -- for
such codes? A best practice? A general consensus? A half-painted
bike shed?

Thanks!

Ian Pilcher arequipeno(at)gmail(dot)com
Sometimes there's nothing left to do but crash and burn...or die trying.