no /repodata/repomd.xml

From: <Matthew(dot)S(dot)Smith(dot)ctr(at)nga(dot)mil>
To: <pgsql-pkg-yum(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: no /repodata/repomd.xml
Date: 2024-06-04 22:59:56
Lists: pgsql-pkg-yum

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

Hello,

I've been wrestling with this for days. I believe that I've fixed it. Here's
how. Web searches were virtually zero help. Your "latest" repo rpm url has
no repodata/repomd.xml

Index of /pub/repos/yum/reporpms/EL-9-x86_64/ (postgresql.org)
<https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/reporpms/EL-9-x86_64/>

The URL pointed at by PostgreSQL: Linux downloads (Red Hat family)
<https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/redhat/> does have
repodata/repomd.xml

Index of /pub/repos/yum/common/redhat/rhel-9-x86_64/ (postgresql.org)
<https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/common/redhat/rhel-9-x86_64/>

My command and error:

sudo dnf install postgresql-server

-or-

sudo dnf install postgresql16-server

Updating Subscription Management repositories.

postgres repository
146 B/s | 146 B 00:01

Errors during downloading metadata for repository 'postgres':

- Status code: 404 for
https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/reporpms/EL-9-x86_64/pgdg-redh
at-repo-latest.noarch.rpm/repodata/repomd.xml (IP: 72.32.157.246)

Error: Failed to download metadata for repo 'postgres': Cannot download
repomd.xml: Cannot download repodata/repomd.xml: All mirrors were tried

I found this page that talks about RHEL 9 FIPS mode PostgreSQL RPM
repository GPG key update - 3 January 2024 - PostgreSQL YUM Repository
<https://yum.postgresql.org/news/pgdg-rpm-repo-gpg-key-update/>

But then I remembered that my error was about 404, not GPG.

I tried switching the repository URL in yum.repos.d/postgres.repo to
explicitly point to the rpm in the path that does include
repodata/repomd.xml

baseurl =
https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/common/redhat/rhel-9-x86_64/pg
dg-redhat-repo-42.0-43PGDG.noarch.rpm

but I still get the error

- Status code: 404 for
https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/common/redhat/rhel-9-x86_64/pg
dg-redhat-repo-42.0-43PGDG.noarch.rpm/repodata/repomd.xml (IP:
217.196.149.55)

Finally I removed the file part of the URL in postgres.repo

baseurl =
https://download.postgresql.org/pub/repos/yum/common/redhat/rhel-9-x86_64/

installing postgres worked!

I don't know if this is a problem with RHEL 9 or FIPS mode or what, but if
there's anything that you can do I bet the community would greatly
appreciate it.

My dnf/modules.d/postgresql.module looks like this

[postgresql]

name=postgresql

stream=16

profiles=