Re: Viewing Postgres website from China

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Viewing Postgres website from China
Date: 2017-10-13 03:12:31
Lists: pgsql-www

On 10/12/2017 06:11 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> As you might know, China blocks Google web addresses in their
> country-wide firewall. Unfortunately, our website hangs for me when
> I access this PG URL from China:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/list/
>
> It hangs reading information from ajax.googleapis.com. Eventually it
> times out and displays the page, but it takes a few minutes. Any use of
> that page, like viewing search result detail, also delays.
>
> This affects anyone in China without an external VPN trying to access
> our email archives web page. Any reasonable idea if this can be
> improved? Thanks.

Yep,

The problem is here:

<script type="text/javascript"
src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.8.3/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript"
src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jqueryui/1.9.1/jquery-ui.min.js"></script>

This is arguably a bad idea in general and we should probably host these
ourselves.

JD

Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://pgconf.us
***** Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own. *****