Re: Making subscribers read only in Postgres 10 logical replication

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: rverghese <riyav(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Making subscribers read only in Postgres 10 logical replication
Date: 2017-10-26 12:41:31
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/11/17 14:18, rverghese wrote:
> I'm testing out logical replication on PostgreSQL 10. Is there a setting to
> make subscribers read-only slaves like with Slony. Currently I can insert
> into the Publisher and the Subscriber. If there is a conflict, i.e. same
> record exists in both, then all replication gets backed up (even to other
> tables) till that one record is resolved.

Right now there is no direct way to do that. The other answers have
suggested some workarounds. It might be a valuable feature to implement
something like that. One would just have to think through exactly how
to present this in the user interface.

Another longer-term solution here is to implement conflict resolution
mechanisms. So if you don't like local updates to break the incoming
replication stream, a remote-update-wins policy would help.