Re: query not scaling

From: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: query not scaling
Date: 2017-10-26 07:02:43
Lists: pgsql-general

Rob Sargent wrote:
> I have a query I cannot tame and I'm wondering if there's an alternative
> to the "between" clause I'm using. Perhaps a custom type could do
> better? I've tried the "<@" orperator and that changes the query plan
> significantly but the execution cost/time is not improved.
>
> Any suggestion or pointers much appreciated.

You really need EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, BUFFERS) output to be able to
undersrand what is going on.

A couple of simple things to check:

- Have all tables been ANALYZED beforehand?
- Are all optimizer database parameters identical?

Also, to have PostgreSQL inline the function, which would be good
for performance, it should be declared IMMUTABLE.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe