Re: Finding error in long input file

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Finding error in long input file
Date: 2024-07-10 12:52:58
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, 9 Jul 2024, Craig McIlwee wrote:

> The input file is 488 lines (presumably, since Rich said the file should
> insert 488 rows). It seems like too much of a coincidence that the last
> character of the last line is really the error. My guess is that there is
> an unmatched character, perhaps a parenthesis, that is throwing off the
> parser because it doesn't expect the statement to terminate yet. Maybe
> that unmatched char really is on the last line, but '85250 Red House Rd'
> doesn't seem like the issue. I don't know anything about the joe editor,
> but I'd hope that any decent editor with syntax highlighting would make it
> apparent where things went awry.

Craig, et al.,

I use emacs for scripts and coding, joe's only for small jobs.

I added a line to the file so the bottom line is now 489. The attached image
shows that line is the only one terminated with a semicolon rather than a
comma.

psql would tell me if there was no closing parenthesis on a line, if the
terminating comma was missing, or other similar error, and would tell me the
number of the line or following line. Having the error marked at the end of
the file does not tell _me_ just where the error actually is.

Partial screenshot attached.

Thanks all,

Rich

Attachment Content-Type Size