Re: Finding error in long input file

From: Craig McIlwee <craigm(at)vt(dot)edu>
To: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
Cc: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Finding error in long input file
Date: 2024-07-10 00:46:45
Lists: pgsql-general

Full error message from earlier in the thread:

> psql:scripts/insert-addrs.sql:488: ERROR: syntax error at or near ";"
> LINE 488: ...2832,1,default,'85250 Red House Rd','Paisley','OR','97636');
> ^

The error:

> LINE 488: ...2832,1,default,'85250 Red House Rd','Paisley','OR','97636')
>
> is giving you the line number and the data:
> a) Navigate to that line number using whatever method Joe has for that.
> b) Search for '85250 Red House Rd'.

The input file is 488 lines (presumably, since Rich said the file should
insert 488 rows). It seems like too much of a coincidence that the last
character of the last line is really the error. My guess is that there is
an unmatched character, perhaps a parenthesis, that is throwing off the
parser because it doesn't expect the statement to terminate yet. Maybe
that unmatched char really is on the last line, but '85250 Red House Rd'
doesn't seem like the issue. I don't know anything about the joe editor,
but I'd hope that any decent editor with syntax highlighting would make it
apparent where things went awry.

Craig