Re: Enhancing protocol.sgml

From: "Bradley DeJong" <bpd0018(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tatsuo Ishii" <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Enhancing protocol.sgml
Date: 2018-08-24 15:43:28
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 2018-07-27, Tatsuo Ishii wrote ...
> ... I think this should be mentioned in protocol.sgml as well. ...

I agree. It is already mentioned as one of the differences between v2
and v3 but an implementer should not need to read that section if they
are only implementing v3. (I know I've never looked at it before.)

Using protocol.diff as a base, I changed the phrasing to be more
prescriptive for v3 protocol implementers (don't send a final line, be
prepared to receive a final line), changed passive voice to active voice
and fixed one COPYData -> CopyData capitalization.

I also called this out in the description of the CopyData message format
because that is where the termination line would be transmitted.

Attachment Content-Type Size
protocol.v2.patch application/octet-stream 2.1 KB