Re: Remove unlogged materialized view persistence handling

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Yugo NAGATA <nagata(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>, px shi <spxlyy123(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Remove unlogged materialized view persistence handling
Date: 2024-10-11 08:06:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2024/10/11 16:18, Yugo NAGATA wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Oct 2024 14:44:43 +0800
> px shi <spxlyy123(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>

>>> +1
>>>
>>> Materialized view is introduced by 3bf3ab8c563 and at that UNLOGGED was
>>> allowed, and it is disallowed by another commit 3223b25ff73. However,
>>> it seems that the tab-complement is missed to fixed.
>
> Sorry, the comment above was not correct.
> The fix was about pasl's \d meta-command, not tab-complement.
>
> - if (tableinfo.relpersistence == 'u')
> - printfPQExpBuffer(&title, _("Unlogged materialized view \"%s.%s\""),
> - schemaname, relationname);
> - else
> - printfPQExpBuffer(&title, _("Materialized view \"%s.%s\""),
> - schemaname, relationname);
> + printfPQExpBuffer(&title, _("Materialized view \"%s.%s\""),
> +
>
> "Unlogged materialized view" is never printed since it cannot be created from the beginning
> of materialized view support, so this is a dead code to be removed.

Yes. I initially thought this code was kept intentionally because
some older PostgreSQL versions supported unlogged materialized views,
and even the latest psql might need to display them. However,
this isn't the case. Unlogged materialized views were added and
removed before the v9.3 release and were never supported in
any official release. So there seems no need to keep this code.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center