Re: Maliing list request: pgsql-forks@

From: Jeremy Schneider <schnjere(at)amazon(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Nasby, Jim" <nasbyj(at)amazon(dot)com>, "pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Maliing list request: pgsql-forks@
Date: 2019-08-08 17:55:07
Lists: pgsql-www

On 8/7/19 03:08, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> I'm personally not opposed to pgsql-forks, but I see that this name
> could be contentious. How about something like pgsql-derived-hackers?

I don't like the word "forks" either.  I like Peter's idea
"pgsql-derivatives" though I wonder if there's still a better word we
haven't thought of yet.  There's a significant difference between the
idea of people forking PostgreSQL code and the idea of downstream builds
that are supplementing PostgreSQL capabilities but regularly merging
from upstream (even if they aren't presently able to package as extensions).

-Jeremy

--
Jeremy Schneider
Database Engineer