Re: Maliing list request: pgsql-forks@

From: "Nasby, Jim" <nasbyj(at)amazon(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Maliing list request: pgsql-forks@
Date: 2019-08-08 17:14:57
Lists: pgsql-www

> On Aug 7, 2019, at 9:07 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net> wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>
> * Craig Ringer (craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com) wrote:
>> Personally the only advantage I see to splitting it off -hackers is that it
>> makes posts related to addins/forks/extensions/spoons/magic unicorn
>> fairies/whatever more visible to that interest group.

Yes, that’s definitely one of the advantages.

> This really seems like it's going to lead in a direction where the
> various forks discuss on some other list things they want to see in core
> (such as reducing the velocity of commits to core...), and then they're
> going to spend a bunch of time on it and eventually propose something on
> -hackers that ends up getting shot down, and I don't really think that's
> going to be very satisfying for anyone.

No one is suggesting reducing commit velocity.

> Let's keep the discussion about changes to core on -hackers. If there's
> folks who want a list to get together and discuss how to address certain
> limitations and how to work around them in the extensions system or the
> set of hooks that are provided, that's great, but it should be clear
> that it's that and not intended to be some kind of alternative list for
> discussing core changes.

The majority of people in the BoF at pgCon that spurred this are more than experienced enough to know that nothing will move forward without full discussion on -hackers. This list is not meant to be any sort of replacement for that process.