Re: To all who wish to unsubscribe

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2017-11-20 19:57:53
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

On 11/20/2017 11:45 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> So do you have any suggestions for actually fixing that? Given that
>> we have more lists to migrate, if you can figure out a way to make
>> those changes without peoples filters not matching, we'd be happy to
>> hear it..
>
> I was thinking about that. I was actually surprised at how many people
> this affected. It only affected one filter for me so it wasn't that
> big of a deal. One thing I would note is that there is no longer a
> footer that tells people what to do if they want to unsubscribe.
> Perhaps one thing that could be done is a header (for a temporary time
> period) that says:
>
> The mailing list software of Postgresql.org has changed. Please see
> this page on instructions on how to manage your subscription and filters.
>
> And then after the temporary time period that becomes a footer?

I would also note that removing the ability to unsubscribe in an
standard fashion is rather user unfriendly. Although many spammers
require that you go to a website, we rarely (I have never seen it) have
to log in to unsubscribe from a list. If you add that most people and
especially people that are on this list are going to be used to using
email to subscribe/unsubscribe...

Thanks,

JD

Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://pgconf.org