Re: To all who wish to unsubscribe

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2017-11-20 20:06:29
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-www

On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 8:57 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 11/20/2017 11:45 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>

>> So do you have any suggestions for actually fixing that? Given that we
>>> have more lists to migrate, if you can figure out a way to make those
>>> changes without peoples filters not matching, we'd be happy to hear it..
>>>

>> I was thinking about that. I was actually surprised at how many people
>> this affected. It only affected one filter for me so it wasn't that big of
>> a deal. One thing I would note is that there is no longer a footer that
>> tells people what to do if they want to unsubscribe. Perhaps one thing that
>> could be done is a header (for a temporary time period) that says:
>>
>> The mailing list software of Postgresql.org has changed. Please see this
>> page on instructions on how to manage your subscription and filters.
>>
>> And then after the temporary time period that becomes a footer?
>>

> I would also note that removing the ability to unsubscribe in an standard
> fashion is rather user unfriendly. Although many spammers require that you
> go to a website, we rarely (I have never seen it) have to log in to
> unsubscribe from a list. If you add that most people and especially people
> that are on this list are going to be used to using email to
> subscribe/unsubscribe...

Right. This is why you can send an emtil to say
pgsql-general-unsubscribe(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org to unsubscribe. You can also
click the unsubscribe link that's in the list headers, which also does not
require you to log in - you just have to click the confirmation button.

--
Magnus Hagander