Re: SQL:2023 JSON simplified accessor support

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Alexandra Wang <alexandra(dot)wang(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: SQL:2023 JSON simplified accessor support
Date: 2024-09-16 19:44:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 29.08.24 18:33, Alexandra Wang wrote:
> I’ve implemented the member and array accessors and attached two
> alternative patches:
>
> 1. v1-0001-Add-JSON-JSONB-simplified-accessor.patch: This patch
> enables dot access to JSON object fields and subscript access to
> indexed JSON array elements by converting "." and "[]" indirection
> into a JSON_QUERY JsonFuncExpr node.
>
> 2. v2-0001-Transform-JSON-dot-access-to-arrow-operator.txt: This
> alternative patch implements dot access to JSON object fields by
> transforming the "." indirection into a "->" operator.
>
> The upside of the v1 patch is that it strictly aligns with the SQL
> standard, which specifies that the simplified access is equivalent to:
>
> JSON_QUERY (VEP, 'lax $.JC' WITH CONDITIONAL ARRAY WRAPPER NULL ON
> EMPTY NULL ON ERROR)
>
> However, the performance of JSON_QUERY might be suboptimal due to
> function call overhead. Therefore, I implemented the v2 alternative
> using the "->" operator.

Using the operator approach would also allow taking advantage of
optimizations such as
<https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAKU4AWoqAVya6PBhn%2BBCbFaBMt3z-2%3Di5fKO3bW%3D6HPhbid2Dw%40mail.gmail.com>.

> There is some uncertainty about the semantics of conditional array
> wrappers. Currently, there is at least one subtle difference between
> the "->" operator and JSON_QUERY, as shown:

That JSON_QUERY bug has been fixed.

I suggest you rebase both of your patches over this, just to double
check everything. But then I think you can drop the v1 patch and just
submit a new version of v2.

The patch should eventually contain some documentation. It might be
good starting to look for a good spot where to put that documentation.
It might be either near the json types documentation or near the general
qualified identifier syntax, not sure.