Re: Seeking Insights on Choosing the Right CPU and RAM for PostgreSQL Setup

From: Paul Smith* <paul(at)pscs(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Seeking Insights on Choosing the Right CPU and RAM for PostgreSQL Setup
Date: 2024-07-18 15:42:13
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 18/07/2024 16:33, Veerendra Pulapa wrote:

> Dear PostgreSQL Community,
>

> I hope you’re all doing well. We’re currently evaluating hardware
> options for our PostgreSQL setup, specifically focusing on CPU and
> RAM. We’d love to hear your insights on the following:

Without knowing the details of the workload and data etc, it's pretty
much impossible to say.

A 1 core CPU at 1.5GHz with 2GB of RAM will happily run PostgreSQL, but
may not be able to run it at your desired speed with your workload.

Conversely 256 cores at 3GHz with 1TB of RAM will also happily run
PostgreSQL, but may be overkill.

Also, from experience, disk system is at least as important as CPU/RAM
(until you get to the point where the RAM will hold the whole database
in cache). Running a fast CPU with lots of RAM won't be any use if
you're running it on 5400 RPM SATA drives in a RAID 5 array....

Paul