Re: How to get more than 2^32 BLOBs

From: Christophe Courtois <christophe(dot)courtois(at)dalibo(dot)com>
To: Donato Marrazzo <donato(dot)marrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to get more than 2^32 BLOBs
Date: 2020-04-08 11:41:26
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

Le 08/04/2020 à 12:12, Donato Marrazzo a écrit :
> Hi Laurenz,
> thank you for your reply.
> Are you aware of any performance drawback?

We had a customer with millions of small Large Objects, in part because
his application forgot to unlink them.

As a consequence, pg_dump was using huge amounts of memory, making a
backup impossible. It was with PG 9.5, I don't think the situation
improved since.

> Il giorno mer 8 apr 2020 alle ore 12:06 Laurenz Albe
> <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at <mailto:laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>> ha scritto:
> > I'm working on a use case were there are many tables with blobs
> (on average not so large 32KB).
> > I foresee that in 2-3 years time frame, the limit of overall blobs
> will be breached: more than 2^32 blobs.
> > - Is there a way to change the OID limit?
> > - Should we switch to a bytea implementation?
> > - Are there any drawback of bytea except the maximum space?

> Don't use large objects.  They are only useful if
> 1) you have files larger than 1GB or
> 2) you need to stream writes
>
> There are no such limitations if you use the "bytea" data type, and
> it is much simpler to handle at the same time.

+1

--
Christophe Courtois
Consultant Dalibo