Re: Make printtup a bit faster

From: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>
To: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andy Fan <zhihuifan1213(at)163(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Make printtup a bit faster
Date: 2024-08-30 16:20:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 8/29/24 1:51 PM, David Rowley wrote:
> I had planned to work on this for PG18, but I'd be happy for some
> assistance if you're willing.

I am interested in working on this, unless Andy Fan wants to do this
work. :) I believe that optimizing the out, in and send functions would
be worth the pain. I get Tom's objections but I do not think adding a
small check would add much overhead compared to the gains we can get.

And given that all of in, out and send could be optimized I do not like
the idea of duplicating all three in the catalog.

David, have you given any thought on the cleanest way to check for if
the new API or the old is the be used for these functions? If not I can
figure out something myself, just wondering if you already had something
in mind.

Andreas