Re: Remove distprep

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove distprep
Date: 2023-08-16 06:25:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 14.07.23 11:48, Tom Lane wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org> writes:
>> Ah, there was a reason. The headerscheck and cpluspluscheck targets
>> need jsonpath_gram.h to be built first. Which previously happened
>> indirectly somehow? I have fixed this in the new patch version. I also
>> fixed the issue that Álvaro reported nearby.
>
> Have we yet run this concept past the packagers list? I'm still
> wondering if they will raise any objection to getting rid of all
> the prebuilt files.

So far there hasn't been any feedback from packagers that would appear
to affect the outcome here.

> Also, I personally don't like the fact that you have removed the
> distinction between distclean and maintainer-clean. I use
> distclean-and-reconfigure quite a lot to avoid having to rebuild
> bison/flex outputs. This patch seems to have destroyed that
> workflow optimization in return for not much.

The distclean target has a standard meaning that is baked into
downstream build systems, so it would be pretty disruptive if distclean
didn't actually clean everything back down to what was in the
distribution tarball. We could add a different clean target that cleans
not quite everything, if you can suggest a definition of what that
should do.