Using Variables in Queries

From: "Igal (at) Lucee(dot)org" <igal(at)lucee(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Using Variables in Queries
Date: 2017-10-19 15:21:36
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

In other database servers, which I'm finally dropping in favor of
Postgres, I can do the following (mind you that this is for illustration
only, I do not actually write queries like that):

DECLARE @query varchar(64) = 'red widget';

SELECT *
FROM products
WHERE col1 LIKE @query
   OR col2 LIKE @query
   OR col3 LIKE @query
   OR col4 LIKE @query
   OR col5 LIKE @query

The point is, though, that I can change the @query variable in one place
which is very convenient.

Is it still true (the posts I see on this subject are quite old) that I
can not do so in Postgres outside of a stored procedure/function?  And
if so, what's the reason of not adding this feature?  Seems very useful
to me.

Thanks,

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer