Re: Data grid: fetching/scrolling data on user demand

From: "Tomek" <tomek(at)apostata(dot)org>
To: "pgAdmin Support" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Data grid: fetching/scrolling data on user demand
Date: 2017-10-17 09:51:46
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi,

> As I mentioned in my previous email that we do not use server side cursor, so it won't add any
> limit on query.
>
> The delay is from database driver itself, it has nothing to do with pgAdmin4.
> Try executing the same query in 'psql', 'pgAdmin3' and third party tool which use libpq library as
> backend, you will observe the same behaviour.

It is not exactly truth... In v3 the query is executed, fetched and all rows are displayed, in v4 query is executed, fetched but only 1000 records are displayed.

For me this idea of "load on demand" (which in reality is "display on demand") is pointless. It is done only because the main lag of v4 comes from interface. I don't see any other purpose for it... If You know (and You do) that v4 can't handle big results add pagination like every other webapp...

And by the way You have a big leak in query tool - execute query with several thousands rows, scroll above 1000 mark few times, execute the same query, scroll above 1000 mark few times - repeat until You run out of memory or v4 crashes...

--
Tomek