Re: Regression tests fail with tzdata 2024b

From: Wolfgang Walther <walther(at)technowledgy(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Sven Klemm <sven(at)timescale(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Regression tests fail with tzdata 2024b
Date: 2024-09-17 06:39:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane:
>> I was wondering whether the timezone used by pg_regress could be made
>> configurable.
>
> Yes, I understood that you were suggesting that. My point is that
> it wouldn't do you any good: you will still have to change any
> regression test cases that depend on behavior PST8PDT has/had that
> is different from America/Los_Angeles. That being the case,
> I don't see much value in making it configurable.

Just changing it back to PST8PDT wouldn't really help as Tom pointed
out. You'd still get different results depending on which tzdata version
you are running with.

The core regression tests need to be run with a timezone that tests
special cases in the timezone handling code. But that might not be true
for extensions - all they want could be a stable output across major and
minor versions of postgres and versions of tzdata. It could be helpful
to set pg_regress' timezone to UTC, for example?

Best,

Wolfgang