psql on Windows systems

From: Holger Jakobs <holger(at)jakobs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psql on Windows systems
Date: 2024-07-05 18:21:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

Dear friends,

Recently I had to use PostgreSQL on a Windows based system, and I was
surprised that the psql tool behaves differently, when it comes to the
functionality of the readline library.

There is no tab-completion for commands or schema/view/table names.
Also, browsing through previous commands within the history is different
from the psql version on Linux systems. Only single lines, not complete
commands show up in the history.

This may be due to some library differences, but wouldn't it be possible
to link some powerful readline and tab-completion libraries also on
Windows systems?

Maybe it's a question for psql developers, should I write on a different
list?

Kind Regards,

Holger

--