Re: Simple queries with JDBC escaped scalar functions result in exceptions

From: Adam Rauch <adam(at)labkey(dot)com>
To: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>, Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Simple queries with JDBC escaped scalar functions result in exceptions
Date: 2016-08-28 14:20:56
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

In our development and test environments (but not production), our SQL
generation engine inserts comments at strategic places in the queries it
constructs, e.g., tagging a GUID with the real-world name of the object
it represents or providing details about the requests from higher layers
in the system that caused the query to be produced. When a query results
in an exception, incorrect results, or poor performance, those comments
help us better understand the query so we can fix or optimize it. Of
course, this is legal and has been supported by the driver for many years.

The dollar sign ($) is the only case we came across in our test
environments, but it looks like a single quote (') or double quote (")
in a comment also trips up the parser. As do the two-character
combinations {D, {E, {F, {O, and {T... and their lowercase equivalents.
A full set of test queries that fail when executed via
postgresql-9.4.1209.jar:

SELECT /* " */ {fn curdate()};
SELECT /* $ */ {fn curdate()};
SELECT /* ' */ {fn curdate()};