Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Jelte Fennema <postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <shiy(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Jesse Zhang <sbjesse(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Date: 2023-10-28 15:47:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2023-08-12 Sa 11:57, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 2023-08-11 Fr 19:17, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Peter Geoghegan<pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> writes:
>>> I'm starting to have doubts about this policy. There have now been
>>> quite a few follow-up "fixes" to indentation issues that koel
>>> complained about. None of these fixups have been included in
>>> .git-blame-ignore-revs. If things continue like this then "git blame"
>>> is bound to become much less usable over time.
>> FWIW, I'm much more optimistic than that. I think what we're seeing
>> is just the predictable result of not all committers having yet
>> incorporated "pgindent it before committing" into their workflow.
>> The need for followup fixes should diminish as people start doing
>> that. If you want to hurry things along, peer pressure on committers
>> who clearly aren't bothering is the solution.
>

> Yeah, part of the point of creating koel was to give committers a bit
> of a nudge in that direction.
>
> With a git pre-commit hook it's pretty painless.

Based on recent experience, where a lot koel's recent complaints seem to
be about comments, I'd like to suggest a modest adjustment.

First, we should provide a mode of pgindent that doesn't reflow
comments. pg_bsd_indent has a flag for this (-nfcb), so this should be
relatively simple.  Second, koel could use that mode, so that it
wouldn't complain about comments it thinks need to be reflowed. Of
course, we'd fix these up with our regular pgindent runs.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan