Re: The end of 32-bit PostgreSQL support?

From: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
To: pgsql-pkg-debian(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: The end of 32-bit PostgreSQL support?
Date: 2024-07-29 02:24:09
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian

On 7/28/24 23:44, Christoph Berg wrote:

> Having seen how much time you had to spend on resolving this, I wonder
> it it is finally time to sunset the support for 32-bit architectures
> in PostgreSQL on Debian. I can't even remember when I've seen a 32-bit
> cluster in the wild, and there's been zero complaints when I disabled
> i386 support on apt.postgresql.org for bullseye.

Well, not quite zero [1]. It took me a while to notice because we test
32-bit on the oldest Debian/Ubuntu and Debian 11 only because the oldest
this summer.

> There is a steady
> stream of extension bugs specific to 32-bit, upstreams have little way
> and incentive to fix that, and we waste a lot of time for probably no
> users.
>
> Comments? Disable it all (but keep libpq5 for applications)? Continue
> to build the server since it works, but disable building all
> extensions?

It's been years since I've had any evidence that anybody is running
32-bit in a production environment. Probably time to drop support for it.

Regards,
David

--
[1]