The end of 32-bit PostgreSQL support?

From: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
To: Bradford Boyle <bradford(dot)d(dot)boyle(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-pkg-debian(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, andrew(at)ankane(dot)org
Subject: The end of 32-bit PostgreSQL support?
Date: 2024-07-28 16:44:26
Lists: pgsql-pkg-debian

Re: Bradford Boyle
> pgvector has released 0.7.3 and I have update the packaging on Salsa [1] to
> update the Debian package. I'd like to request a review and upload, as
> cycles permit.

Hi Bradford,

thanks, uploaded!

> There was a build failure for sid/i386 in Salsa's CI pipeline. I suspect
> this was caused by the new addition of gcc-14 to sid since the
> problematic code was unchanged between 0.7.2 and 0.7.3. Reviewing the
> console output from Salsa's pipeline for 0.7.2 [2], shows that gcc-13
> was used for building 0.7.2. I was able to resolve the build failure by
> conditionally adding -msse2 to PG_CFLAGS when DEB_HOST_ARCH is i386.

Having seen how much time you had to spend on resolving this, I wonder
it it is finally time to sunset the support for 32-bit architectures
in PostgreSQL on Debian. I can't even remember when I've seen a 32-bit
cluster in the wild, and there's been zero complaints when I disabled
i386 support on apt.postgresql.org for bullseye. There is a steady
stream of extension bugs specific to 32-bit, upstreams have little way
and incentive to fix that, and we waste a lot of time for probably no
users.

Comments? Disable it all (but keep libpq5 for applications)? Continue
to build the server since it works, but disable building all
extensions?

Christoph