PostgreSQL and Performance of Functions

From: "Aaron Bono" <postgresql(at)aranya(dot)com>
To: "Lista Postgres" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL and Performance of Functions
Date: 2006-11-30 21:28:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

Recently I have been put on a project that uses DB2 (not my choice). I am
using functions for reports and was told this may not be allowed. They
said:

One gap is the ability to tune the code in the function (not really static)
or to perform real-time analysis of performance problems.

I normally use PostgreSQL for all my applications (this being an
exception). Does anyone know what this statement is about and, more
importantly, does PostgreSQL have the same limitations?

Thanks,
Aaron

Aaron Bono
Aranya Software Technologies, Inc.