Re: PostgreSQL and Performance of Functions

From: "Rajesh Kumar Mallah" <mallah(dot)rajesh(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Aaron Bono" <postgresql(at)aranya(dot)com>
Cc: "Lista Postgres" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL and Performance of Functions
Date: 2006-12-01 09:45:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 12/1/06, Aaron Bono <postgresql(at)aranya(dot)com> wrote:

> Recently I have been put on a project that uses DB2 (not my choice). I am
> using functions for reports and was told this may not be allowed. They
> said:
>
> One gap is the ability to tune the code in the function (not really
> static) or to perform real-time analysis of performance problems.

Tuning the code in function requires to change the file containing the
function
defination and reloading the function. Hence the cycle of performance tuning
is
longer.

Regarding "real time analysis" what I understand is

EXPLAIN ANALYSE (of main SQL using the function) in postgresql cannot
provide the realtime analysis of the performace of queries inside the
function.
probably such a limitation may exists in db2 also.

I think the gap is genuine.

regds
mallah.

I normally use PostgreSQL for all my applications (this being an