Re: MS-SQL<->Postgres sync

From: "Aaron Bono" <postgresql(at)aranya(dot)com>
To: "Kevin Bednar" <kevin(at)stockwelldesigngroup(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MS-SQL<->Postgres sync
Date: 2006-07-10 17:15:34
Lists: pgsql-sql

Please reply to all when replying on the list...

On 7/10/06, Kevin Bednar <kevin(at)stockwelldesigngroup(dot)com> wrote:

> Thanks Aron. What I'm actually trying to do is this:
>
> Postgress in physical store, being used by POS system as the back end.
> MS-SQL being used on web server by ecommerce system.
>
> Table structures are different of course, but some common fields. What I
> want to do is when an item is sold in the store, update the quantity field
> for that sku number on the web site and vice versa. Only 2 fields basically
> need to be updated on each side, the SKU number and quantity. This is to
> keep the product table in sync and try to avoid selling product that isnt in
> stock and setting a flag on the web system stating such. Thanks for your
> help.

For something this simple you are probably better off doing some custom
coding.

If you have the ability to modify the databases, I would recommend putting a
trigger on each database so when there is a product sold, that sale is
recorded in a temp table (which serves as a queue of data that needs to be
synched). Then have a process read from these temp tables and feed the data
back to the other database. Of course, I am assuming you have full control
to change the databases - some vendors do not allow that.

You may be able to connect the databases - MS SQL Server will definitely
allow you to connect via ODBC to another database and feed data back and
forth. I think there are add on modules for PostgreSQL but I have not tried
to have PostgreSQL talk to other databases before.

-Aaron