Re: User with BYPASSRLS privilege can't change password

From: Wolfgang Walther <walther(at)technowledgy(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: User with BYPASSRLS privilege can't change password
Date: 2020-11-03 18:26:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Tom Lane:
> How do you figure that? This is in an "else" path after
>
> else if (authform->rolreplication || isreplication >= 0)
>
> so AFAICS it's impossible to get there. If it isn't impossible,
> we have a much bigger hole with respect to issuper.

Yes, you're right. I read the || as &&. And also missed the ! in else if
(!have_createrole_privilege()) btw. :)

I guess the error message "must be superuser to alter replication users"
led me on the wrong path. I would be more precise as "must be superuser
to alter replication users or change replication attribute" to cover the
change-non-replication-to-replication user case, I think. The same thing
for superusers.

Best

Wolfgang