Re: User with BYPASSRLS privilege can't change password

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Wolfgang Walther <walther(at)technowledgy(dot)de>
Cc: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: User with BYPASSRLS privilege can't change password
Date: 2020-11-03 18:51:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Wolfgang Walther <walther(at)technowledgy(dot)de> writes:
> Tom Lane:
>> so AFAICS it's impossible to get there. If it isn't impossible,
>> we have a much bigger hole with respect to issuper.

> Yes, you're right. I read the || as &&. And also missed the ! in else if
> (!have_createrole_privilege()) btw. :)

Actually the right way to deal with this potential confusion is to
add a comment, as below. I fixed the docs too.

> I guess the error message "must be superuser to alter replication users"
> led me on the wrong path. I would be more precise as "must be superuser
> to alter replication users or change replication attribute" to cover the
> change-non-replication-to-replication user case, I think. The same thing
> for superusers.

I'd be okay with changing the error text in HEAD, but less so in the back
branches, since that'd cause thrashing of translatable strings.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
fix-bypassrls-privilege-check-2.patch text/x-diff 2.1 KB