explicit joins vs implicit joins

From: culley harrelson <culley(at)fastmail(dot)fm>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: explicit joins vs implicit joins
Date: 2003-06-19 07:52:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Once upon a time when I taught myself sql I learned the explicit join
syntax-- I have never really used the where clause to create joins.
With this style of sql I have been building/maintaining a
postgresql-centric web application since postgresql 7.0 and now I am
learning that by writing my sql in this fashion I am constricting the
planner. After reading this:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=postgresql-general&m=105551123915183&w=2

I am wondering if things are going to change in 7.4? Or should I switch
to placing joins in the where clause when I can? I don't want to have
to worry about my join order-- I would prefer to let the planner do its
thing 95% of the time.

culley