Re: Looking for software to 'enqueue' connections

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Edmundo Robles <edmundo(at)sw-argos(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Looking for software to 'enqueue' connections
Date: 2016-08-15 20:44:17
Lists: pgsql-general

On 08/15/2016 01:30 PM, Edmundo Robles wrote:
> Hi!
> I want find a software to 'enqueue' the client connections to database,
> so if i reach the max limit the query must be holding in a queue until
> one connection is released.
>
> I have many devices (100+) saving their state to a database, each
> minute, but the table is too large more than 13,000,000 of records and
> many indexes, so, insert one record takes 3 or more minutes.
>
> Then, there is a moment at connection limit is reached :( and lose
> information
>
> I tried with pgbouncer to 'enqueue' the connections but I get no
> success, maybe I missing something...
>
> by the way:
> I use postgres 9.4 with max_connections 100
> and pgbouncer max_connections to 100 and reserve_pool_size=50
>
> I hope you can help me...

To really help it would be nice to know the hardware specifications you
are working with:

CPU type and number.
RAM
Storage subsystem

Also some indication of what the load on you system as whole is. Cannot
remember what your OS is, but information from something like top and
iostat. The reasoning being that fooling with connections may not be of
much help if the system is running at its max limits already. In other
words it is possible a hardware upgrade is what is needed.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com