Re: Regex query not using index

From: "Postgres User" <postgres(dot)developer(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Tino Wildenhain" <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Regex query not using index
Date: 2008-02-20 16:51:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom,

I was looking for another approach but didn't come across that array
syntax in my searches (perhaps because it's newer. Thanks for a
solution.

Now to end my fixation, one last item. What about the case of a null
or empty param value- is there a way to assign a condition value that
Postgres will ignore when processing the query?

This syntax results in a seq scan: WHERE fielda = Coalesce(param, fielda)
because it applies only to non-nulls

Is there another way to write this- perhaps using your array syntax on
an empty array? Basically I'd PG to ignore the condition just as it
ignores WHERE 1 = 1