Re: Regex query not using index

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Postgres User" <postgres(dot)developer(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Tino Wildenhain" <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Regex query not using index
Date: 2008-02-20 16:31:54
Lists: pgsql-general

"Postgres User" <postgres(dot)developer(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> My users are developers and the goal was to accept a simple
> comma-delimited list of string values as a function's input parameter.
> The function would then parse this input param into a valid regex
> expression.

Why are you fixated on this being a regex? If you aren't actually
trying to expose regex capabilities to the users, you'll just be having
to suppress a bunch of strange behaviors for special characters.

ISTM that the best solution is to use an array-of-text parameter,
along the lines of

where name = any (array['Smith', 'Jones', ...])

For what you're doing, you'd not actually want the array[] syntax,
it would look more like

where name = any ('{Smith,Jones}'::text[])

This should optimize into an indexscan in 8.2 or later.