Re: Things I don't like about \du's "Attributes" column

From: Pavel Luzanov <p(dot)luzanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Rafia Sabih <rafia(dot)pghackers(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jim Nasby <jim(dot)nasby(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Things I don't like about \du's "Attributes" column
Date: 2024-07-12 07:06:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11.07.2024 15:07, Rafia Sabih wrote:
> This looks much better than the current version.

Thank you, for looking into this.

> Only thing is, I find
> the column name Valid until confusing. With that name I am in danger
> of taking it as the role's validity and not the passwords'.
> How about naming it to something like Password validity...?

Yes, my first attempt was to name this column "Passwordexpirationdate" for the same reason. But then I decided that the
column name should match the attribute name. Otherwise, you need to make
some effort to understand which columns of the table correspond to which
attributes of the roles. It is also worth considering translation into
other languages. If the role attribute and the column have the same
name, then they will probably be translated the same way. But the
translation may be different for different terms, which will further
confuse the situation. We can probably change the column name, but still
the root of the confusion is caused by the attribute name, not the
column name. What do you think?

--
Pavel Luzanov
Postgres Professional:https://postgrespro.com