Re: pgpool not load balancing via foreign table

From: Sbob <sbob(at)quadratum-braccas(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgpool not load balancing via foreign table
Date: 2024-06-22 15:54:10
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 6/21/24 11:12 PM, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Friday, June 21, 2024, David G. Johnston
> <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> On Friday, June 21, 2024, Sbob <sbob(at)quadratum-braccas(dot)com> wrote:
>

> however no matter how many selects I run via the foreign
> tables a "show pool_nodes" on the pgpool server shows  a
> select_cnt of 0 for all 3 nodes.
>
> If I connect to the pgpool server/cluster and run a number of
> select statements then a "show pool_nodes"  shows increasing
> values for all 3 backend nodes for select_cnt
>

> It appears that a foreign table / FDW connection to a pgpool
> node does not trigger the collection of any load balancing stats
>

> Skimming over the project and the extension (for the first time
> ever…) it seems pgpool only does stats in response to Execute
> messages while FDW is using the simple query protocol.  That
> pgpool doesn’t do stats for Query as well seems like an oversight.
>

> Nevermind…or at least while possible further reading of the pgpool
> code doesn’t support it - the simple query case is present.
>
> David J.

Im not sure what the 'simple query protocol' is, is this an option when
setting up a FDW/Foreign Table? Or is this something that pgpool just
does not support?

I also ran a test where I set all 3 backend nodes to have
'log_min_duration_statement = 0' and I ran a tail on the logs for all 3
backend data nodes while I ran a series of selects via a new connection
to the FDW database for each select. And I only see selects logged in
the logfile of the master/primary backend db.

Is there anything I can do to force the load balancing?