Problems With -9.0.1

From: Rich Shepard <rshepard(at)appl-ecosys(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Problems With -9.0.1
Date: 2010-12-21 01:09:24
Lists: pgsql-general

I built and installed -9.0.1 on my Slackware-13.1 server and it ran for a
while. Now, without warning, one of my applications dependent upon postgres
won't run. While trying to restart postgres I learned the .pid file did not
exist so I removed /tmp/.s.PGSQL* and tried to restart postgres.

Here's what I see:

postgres(at)salmo:$ postgres -D /usr/local/pgsql/data &
[1] 16044
postgres(at)salmo:/var/log/httpd$ LOG: could not open directory
"/share/timezone": No such file or directory
LOG: could not open directory "/share/timezone": No such file or directory
LOG: could not open directory "/share/timezone": No such file or directory
LOG: could not open directory "/share/timezone": No such file or directory
LOG: could not open directory "/share/timezone": No such file or directory
WARNING: could not open directory "/share/timezonesets": No such file or
directory
HINT: This may indicate an incomplete PostgreSQL installation, or that the
file "/bin/postgres" has been moved away from its proper location.
FATAL: invalid value for parameter "timezone_abbreviations": "Default"

The files and directories are in /usr/local/pgsql/share:

postgres(at)salmo:$ ls /usr/local/pgsql/share/
conversion_create.sql postgres.bki sql_features.txt
doc/ postgres.description system_views.sql
information_schema.sql postgres.shdescription timezone/
man/ postgresql.conf.sample timezonesets/
pg_hba.conf.sample psqlrc.sample tsearch_data/
pg_ident.conf.sample recovery.conf.sample unknown.pltcl
pg_service.conf.sample snowball_create.sql

What do I do to overcome this impasse and get postgres running again?

Rich