Re: Problems With -9.0.1

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problems With -9.0.1
Date: 2010-12-21 01:24:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On 12/20/10 5:09 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> I built and installed -9.0.1 on my Slackware-13.1 server and it ran
> for a
> while. Now, without warning, one of my applications dependent upon
> postgres
> won't run. While trying to restart postgres I learned the .pid file
> did not
> exist so I removed /tmp/.s.PGSQL* and tried to restart postgres.
>
> Here's what I see:
>
> postgres(at)salmo:$ postgres -D /usr/local/pgsql/data &
> [1] 16044
> postgres(at)salmo:/var/log/httpd$ LOG: could not open directory
> "/share/timezone": No such file or directory
> LOG: could not open directory "/share/timezone": No such file or
> directory
> LOG: could not open directory "/share/timezone": No such file or
> directory
> LOG: could not open directory "/share/timezone": No such file or
> directory
> LOG: could not open directory "/share/timezone": No such file or
> directory
> WARNING: could not open directory "/share/timezonesets": No such file or
> directory
> HINT: This may indicate an incomplete PostgreSQL installation, or
> that the
> file "/bin/postgres" has been moved away from its proper location.
> FATAL: invalid value for parameter "timezone_abbreviations": "Default"
>
> The files and directories are in /usr/local/pgsql/share:

if you built and installed postgres in /usr/local/pgsql, then all those
errors should have referred to /usr/local/pgsql/share/timezone

is there a different postgres binary in /bin/postgres ?

execute...

postgres(at)salmo:$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_config

and reply to the list with the output...

also,

postgres(at)salmo:$ which postgres