The current shape of PG master-slave replication

From: pgsql-admin(at)kolttonen(dot)fi
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: The current shape of PG master-slave replication
Date: 2018-11-15 18:18:02
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello!

I am a happy PostgreSQL user, but I have never tried PG replication at all.

Based on my vague recollections concerning the past, MySQL used to have
the advantage of having a pretty stable and working master-slave
replication when PG did not have such a thing. But PG has been more
SQL-compliant, has had foreign keys forever, and in general, I guess PG
has had a more advanced feature set available.

I have followed the progress of PostgreSQL regarding replication just
occasionally, but not very actively. Master-slave replication is now
officially supported in the newest releases, maybe has been for a long
time, I am not sure.

In any case it is not my intention to spark a heated discussion about the
merits of MySQL/MariaDB vs PostgreSQL. All I am asking is maybe hearing
some observations of PG admins out there.

To be concrete, if I use PG 10.x master-slave replication in production,
is it very reliable when set up properly? Any practical experiences? Well,
I suppose it *must* be reliable, but I am interested in hearing of
possible problems, too.

Thanks for the information.

Best regards,
Unto Sten