RE: Timeout parameters

From: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
To: "Nagaura, Ryohei" <nagaura(dot)ryohei(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: 'Kyotaro HORIGUCHI' <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, "Jamison, Kirk" <k(dot)jamison(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, "robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "MikalaiKeida(at)ibagroup(dot)eu" <MikalaiKeida(at)ibagroup(dot)eu>, "AYahorau(at)ibagroup(dot)eu" <AYahorau(at)ibagroup(dot)eu>, "michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz" <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Timeout parameters
Date: 2019-03-30 07:33:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Ryohei-san,

I have further remarks after Kirk-san extensive review on these patches.

* About TCP interface v18.

For homogeneity with the surrounding cases, ISTM that "TCP_user_timeout"
should be ""TCP-user-timeout".

* About TCP backend v19 patch

I still disagree with "on other systems, it must be zero.": I do not see
why "it must be zero", I think that the parameter should simply be ignored
if it does not apply or is not implemented on a platform?

If there are consistency constraint with other timeout parameters,
probably the documentation should mention it?

* About socket_timeout v12 patch, I'm not sure there is a consensus.

I still think that there should be an attempt at cancelling before
severing.

Robert pointed out that it is not a timeout wrt the query, but this is not
clearly explained in the documentation nor the comments. The doc says that
it is the time for socket read/write operations, but it is somehow the
time between messages, some of which may not be linked to read/write
operations. I feel that the documentation is not very precise about what
it really does.

ISTM that the implementation could make the cancelling as low as 1 second
because of rounding. This could be said somewhere, maybe in the doc,
surely in a comment.

I still think that this parameter should be preservered on psql's
reconnections when explicitely set to non zero.

--
Fabien.