Re: confusing positioning of notes in connection settings

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: confusing positioning of notes in connection settings
Date: 2023-05-31 11:16:56
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 26.04.23 07:36, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>> On 26 Apr 2023, at 10:18, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:
>>
>>> On 26 Apr 2023, at 08:08, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if the notes are even true. The text for tcp_keepalives_interval already says that it is only supported if TCP_KEEPCNT is supported.
>
> Re-reading this I think there was some confusion, definitely so on my part.
>
> tcp_keepalives_interval relies on TCP_KEEPINTVL, with the Windows equivalent
> being SIO_KEEPALIVE_VALS. TCP_KEEPCNT is for tcp_keepalives_count which indeed
> is not supported on Windows. Jonathans original question was regarding _count
> and _timeout and not _interval.
>
> I do agree that all of these notes may just as well be added to the text, the
> option client_connection_check_interval following these have text about
> platform compatibility without using a note.

How about this patch?

The first two hunks are pretty straightforward, they just move the
existing text around.

For the other two, which are not supported on Windows, I added an
explicit parenthetical note. We don't list which of the Unix-like
platforms support the respective options, but I suspect that it's all of
them in practice? (Otherwise we should be more explicit.) So I think
calling out Windows explicitly is sensible, also considering that the
first two settings are supported on Windows but the latter two are not.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-doc-Fix-confusing-positioning-of-notes-in-connection.patch text/plain 4.2 KB