Re: confusing positioning of notes in connection settings

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Pg Docs <pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: confusing positioning of notes in connection settings
Date: 2023-04-26 11:36:34
Lists: pgsql-docs

> On 26 Apr 2023, at 10:18, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:
>
>> On 26 Apr 2023, at 08:08, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> I wonder if the notes are even true. The text for tcp_keepalives_interval already says that it is only supported if TCP_KEEPCNT is supported.

Re-reading this I think there was some confusion, definitely so on my part.

tcp_keepalives_interval relies on TCP_KEEPINTVL, with the Windows equivalent
being SIO_KEEPALIVE_VALS. TCP_KEEPCNT is for tcp_keepalives_count which indeed
is not supported on Windows. Jonathans original question was regarding _count
and _timeout and not _interval.

I do agree that all of these notes may just as well be added to the text, the
option client_connection_check_interval following these have text about
platform compatibility without using a note.

--
Daniel Gustafsson