Re: ANALYZE ONLY

From: torikoshia <torikoshia(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Michael Harris <harmic(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Melih Mutlu <m(dot)melihmutlu(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, postgres(at)jeltef(dot)nl, ilya(dot)evdokimov(at)tantorlabs(dot)com
Subject: Re: ANALYZE ONLY
Date: 2024-08-30 06:45:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Michael,

On 2024-08-23 19:01, Michael Harris wrote:

> V2 of the patch is attached.

Thanks for the proposal and the patch.

You said this patch was a first draft version, so these may be too minor
comments, but I will share them:

-- https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/progress-reporting.html
> Note that when ANALYZE is run on a partitioned table, all of its
> partitions are also recursively analyzed.

Should we also note this is the default, i.e. not using ONLY option
behavior here?

-- https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/ddl-partitioning.html
> If you are using manual VACUUM or ANALYZE commands, don't forget that
> you need to run them on each child table individually. A command like:
>
> ANALYZE measurement;
> will only process the root table.

This part also should be modified, shouldn't it?

When running ANALYZE VERBOSE ONLY on a partition table, the INFO message
is like this:

=# ANALYZE VERBOSE ONLY only_parted;
INFO: analyzing "public.only_parted" inheritance tree

I may be wrong, but 'inheritance tree' makes me feel it includes child
tables.
Removing 'inheritance tree' and just describing the table name as below
might be better:

INFO: analyzing "public.only_parted"

--
Regards,