Re: invalid data in PID file

From: "J S B" <jsbali(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: invalid data in PID file
Date: 2006-10-11 19:33:19
Lists: pgsql-general

Actually i've been trying to setup my postgres database in a new machine.
the machine that i'm using right now is goin to die very soon. So i was
trying to restore it in another machine but before that I have to install
postgres in this new machine.

I installed postgres successfully, created a DB cluster using initdb comand
after creating a user account that would use postgres and made it the owned
of the location where DB was initialized.

Then I started my postgres service using
pg_ctl start -D /usr/local/pgsql/jsbali

That was the very first time i started it and it did not give me any errors.
After that I created a new DB server using PGAdmin3 and the server was
created successfully.
When i tried connecting to this server, i gave me an error Ident
Authentication failed and wanted me to do appropriate changes in pg_hba.conf
file
However, in pg_hba.conf file, i have the settings for the trusted
connection.
pg_hba.conf and postgresql.conf files i copied from my old Db server and
overwrote on the ones that were created as a result of initidb in the new
database.

Right after this point, pg_ctl start, stop and reload doesn't work at all.

There was some problem with postmaster.pid file, so i just removed it.

The last error that i got after tryin to start postgres is :

could not bind IPv6 socket: Address already in use.
HINT: Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not , wait a
few seconds and retry.
LOG: could not bind IPv$ socket: Address already in use
HINT: Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not , wait a
few seconds and retry.
WARNING: could not create listen socket for "*"
FATAL: could not create any TCP/IP sockets