Re: invalid data in PID file

From: Madison Kelly <linux(at)alteeve(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: J S B <jsbali(at)gmail(dot)com>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: invalid data in PID file
Date: 2006-10-11 19:27:27
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> "J S B" <jsbali(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> FATAL: could not open lock file "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.lock": Permission
>> denied
>
>> Can you please tell me what is this all about?
>
> It looks to me like you have, or had, another postmaster running under a
> different userid. Perhaps you should back up to the beginning and tell
> us what you've been doing with this installation.
>
> regards, tom lane

IIRC, I had that happen on a botched upgrade of postgres. Even if I did
a reinstall it wasn't enough. Under Debian I had to try upgrading again,
then do a "complete uninstall" (or something similar), then a fresh
reinstall and it finally worked again. It happened a couple of times and
I never figured out why. Hasn't happened lately though.

Madi